854 N. Harvard Ave.
Lindsay, CA 93247
1121 L St., Suite 610
Sacramento, CA 95814
Friant-Kern Canal Capacity Correction Project
Reminder: Landowner Open House Meetings
Friant Water Authority (FWA) cordially invites landowners with properties along the Friant-Kern Canal (FKC) between Avenue 5 in Tulare County and Lake Woollomes in Kern County to attend any of two open house meetings scheduled for late August in Delano and Porterville. These meetings will provide an overview of the FKC Capacity Correction Project (Project), an effort led by FWA and the Bureau of Reclamation. The Project is a multi-year effort to restore full conveyance capacity to the FKC, a 152-mile-long canal constructed in the 1950s as part of the Friant Division of the Central Valley Project. The facility has experienced a 60 percent decline in conveyance capacity due to land subsidence.
While the meeting is focused on the Project’s potential impacts to adjacent landowners, all residents and businesses surrounding the FKC or that rely on water conveyed by the FKC are encouraged to attend. Refreshments will be provided.
Please visit https://friantwater.org/projects for more information.
Please visit www.tinyurl.com/friantkern to receive Project updates by email.
Wednesday, August 28
4 pm – 6 pm
2700 W. Teapot Dome Ave., Porterville, CA
Open House Agenda
Open House: 4 – 4:30 p.m.
Presentation: 4:30 – 5:10 p.m.
About the CVP-Friant Division and Friant Water Authority
- History of the Friant-Kern Canal (FKC), and operation and maintenance responsibilities of Friant Water
- Agricultural, municipal and industrial customers, and the economies served by the FKC
An Imperiled Valley Asset
- Original design and historical view of facility repairs linked to prior land subsidence
- Existing conditions of the FKC and flow projections based on current data
Capacity Correction Project Overview
- Project design and status, including initial alternatives
- Project schedule and next steps
Landowner Involvement and Coordination
- Future Project environmental scoping meetings
- Review of anticipated Project field studies and investigations on the FKC and adjoining properties
- Process to request access and Right-of-Entry Agreements
Questions and Answers / Open House: 5:10 – 6 p.m.